Recently I came across a devotional that I’ve had for twenty years. It’s comprised of different writings from Calvary Chapel Pastors. I want to share one with you from Brian Bell, Senior Pastor Calvary Chapel Murrieta, Murrieta, California. This was the first church I attended after dedicating my life to Jesus Christ. I remember taking Sommer with me and leaving her in the nursery. We could hear her screaming in the sanctuary. I loved the worship time and the teaching lifted my soul. Five months later we moved to Gurene, IL and attended another Calvary Chapel this time in Lake Villa, IL. Sommer didn’t scream anymore in the nursery, thankfully.
Here is what Pastor Brian wrote about Christmas:
JESUS “OUR REASON FOR EVERY SESON.”
The 10 Christmas Commandments:
- Though shalt not leave “Christ” out of Christmas, making it “Xmas.” To some, “X” is unknown.
- Thou shalt prepare thy soul for Christmas. Spend not so much on gifts that thy soul is forgotten.
- Thou shalt not let Santa Claus replace Christ, Thus robbing the day of its spiritual reality.
- Thou shalt not burden the shop girl, the mailman, and the merchant with complaints and demands.
- Thou shalt give thyself with thy gift. This will increase its value a hundred-fold, and he who receiveth it shall treasure it forever.
- Thou shalt not value gifts received by their cost. Even the least expensive may signify love, and that is more priceless than silver and gold.
- Thou shalt not neglect the needy. Share thy blessings with many who will go hungry and cold unless thou are generous.
- Thou shalt not neglect thy church. Its services highlight the true meaning of the season.
- Thou shalt be as a little child. Not until thou has become in spirit as a little one are thou ready to enter into the kingdom of Heaven.
- Thou shalt give thy heart to Christ. Let Him be at the top of thy Christmas list.
Anyone keeping these commandments is sure to have a blessed Christmas.